Thursday, January 05, 2006

Melaka

I arrived at Melaka around mid afternoon with good amount of sunshine.

After checking into my expensive (126 RM ~= $35) hotel in old Chinatown (see picture of the hotel) I was ready for quick tour of the city's historic sites.

A word on the Puri Hotel that I am staying in, it was an old Chinese house that was converted into a boutique hotel, some of the original structure is maintained.

Melaka has seen its procession of foreign conquerers since its founding in 1400 by an exiled Sumatran prince. It succumbed to Portuguese in 1511. Later on Dutch, then the British.

The city is really great to wonder around, with many colonial buildings/structure still intact, along with old neighborhoods. I enjoyed my short time here.

The old town's main square is surrounded by some historical buildings like: the Christ Church build by the Dutch in 1741 to commemorate a century of colonial rule in Melaka. The Stadthuys, build by the Dutch in 1600s for the governor of Melaka.

Anyway, tomorrow morning I'll leave for Singapore, the last country on my trip.











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home