Monday, January 09, 2006

Final Thoughts

For a moment I find it strange to hear the pilot announcing over the pa "... Welcome to Land of the Free and Home of the Brave ...", then I realized that I am really home.

I missed family, friends, and colleagues, and as I transition back to comfortable US lifestyle I have some final thoughts:

Even though I blended in pretty well in most of the countries (thanks to gradual darkening of my skin as I moved southward), I felt more “American” than ever in the foreign lands yet I still feel in-between culture here in the US.

As with every trip to culturally diverse countries, I come to appreciate what America has to offer: the freedom, the comfortable lifestyle. And at same time what disgusted me: the excessive obsession with work, material things, power, status, and anything big.

I truly going to miss the SEA and beyond: the cheap fresh juices and pastries of the tropic, efficient and widespread public trans of Japan, the fresh air of Borneo jungle, unique culture of Bali, friendly people of the countries (even Vietnam has few), the nature beauties, ancient ruins of Angkor, and fast diminishing and commercialized local culture/custom.

On this trip I have defended the America's freedom/democracy against communist/totalitarian sympathizers, joined the chorus of disdains for President Bush and Iraq fiasco, lamented about the world's eagerness to follow the footsteps of America's massive consumerism/materialism knowing this planet can't support everyone at that borrowed and temporary lifestyle, and sadden by the destruction of tropical rainforest by the corrupt governments eager to support timber companies and plantation owners that feed the voracious demands of developed countries

So where is my next long trip? Central America. When? I don’t know, definitely not this year. More Spanish class is the only thing certain.

Signing off……

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home