Friday, November 25, 2005

Vientiane, Laos

My flight into Laos from Siem Reap was non-eventful, not like my previous crossing by bus/foot and boat. Another twin turbo prop plane.

Paid $30 and got my visa, then I exchanged $200 travelers checks into Kips at 10802 Kips to $1 and what I got in return were 4 bundles of 5000 kips bills!!! Imagine you holding $200 worth of 50c bill. I felt like I have just robbed the bank with 2 millions plus of Kips in small used and untraceable bills.

After shared a taxi with a Canadian couple I checked into a grimmy single bed room for $7 a night. I just going to stay one night, so I did not mind too much.

I then went to find food to eat and had a best and cheap meal in a long time. I went back in cheap place again later. Laos is even cheaper Vietnam.

After lunch I went for quick 3 hours of temple sightseeing on foot. One of the temple was awesome, the whole temple is of shinny gold color and with bright sunshine and blue sky, it just jump out at you.

Even though Vientiane is the capital of the country, it felt like a provincial city than a capital. Many unpaved and dusty streets. Things tend to be much quieter than its neighboring countries. No car honking to speak of. Anyway much more of a layback feel to it. No wonder everyone who visited Laos has high praise for it.

I'll have a quick/short temple visit near where I staying in the morning tomorrow and then catch a 9:30AM tourist bus North to Vang Vieng for fun stuff and less sightseeing.

There are good pastries here. A Chinese type bakery and a scandinavia bakery as well. Both are pretty good!





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home