Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Mekong Delta and Onward to Cambodia

I signed up for the 3 days 2 nights tour of Mekong delta that includes transportation to Phnom Penh.

Day one we left HCMC and went to My Tho, the gateway into Mekong delta. The sights were particular interesting. Obvious there is lot of commerce on the river and along the river and the delta is extreme fertile with 3+ plus crops a year. Vietnam is the 2nd largest rice producer (#1 is Thailand). We also saw the coconut candy making process (I bought one package).

Day two, started from Cantho, the 5th largest city in Vietnam (the largest in Mekong delta), we checked out a floating market, again I wasn't impressed, and also visited a rice sheet/noodles factory, a rice husk removing plant, and small snake farm, and a crocodile farm (with couple Asiatic bears for beal farming). We arrived in Chau Duc on the border with Cambodia just in time for a sunset.

The hotels we stayed weren't particular great, even worst than what I would normally stay in Vietnam. The one in Chau Duc smelled like raw sewage! I paid $1 more just to get the AC to reduce the smell.

I roomed with a japanese lady for the two nights.

Then there is the van, overcrowed and the AC failed not long after we left the boat, so everyone was pretty hot to say the least

So the package tour is well below my expectation... Might be the worst in Vietnam if not the whole trip. Consider I payed $43 for it, you get what you paid.

Well, I'll report how the journey into Cambodia once I get there...








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home