Tuesday, December 06, 2005

My limited views on Thailand

Before my trip, I heard many great praises on how friendly the Thai people are, but when I talked to many travelers I met along the way, the pictures become much blurer.

- many people do not like Bangkok at all, most frequent complains are: pollutions, congestion, and scams. One person told me while Vietnamese people might try to take advantage of you with a straight face, the thai do it with a smile. I think Bangkok is ok with me.

- my personal experience with Thai people itself is a mix bag. Some I met are very friendly, while others (especially the service sector people on Kaosan rd) are down right cold and rude.

- Thai people treat their king like a God.

- Lots boy-girl in Bangkok (assuming this is true with other parts of Thailand as well). May be its the gene or may be its the water.

- Bangkok is very international and western; with many races coming and going or staying for long term. One family (from NZ) I met in Laos, lamented that too many Thais have join the material things obsessed world.

- No one really honk and few vehicals do yield to people

- Thai people (at least the ones in Bangkok) are pretty dark, like that of Cambodia. The people aren't particularly good looking - not to offend anyone this is only based on my personal beauty standard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home