Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Kota Kinabalu, Mt Kinabalu, Kinabatangan River Jungle Camp, Sepilok Orangutan Rehab Center in Sabah Sate Malaysian Borneo

I arrived in KK in the evening. The transit through KL wasn't too bad, I cleared the immigration in record time and end up spending more time waiting for checkin counter to open.

I am definitly arrived in the tropic. Morning sun and chance of afternoon/night rain.
The city isn't very big (but big by Borneo standard). I had good seafood dinner, the price is just slight cheaper than the US, but I think it is fresher.

The price is defintely most expensive since HK. And stuff that I take it for granted are few and far in between. Laundry service, internet are very few. That is why I am to get online 6 days later. And I did my own laundry for the first time since may be China?

Also I have been doing things and moving from places to places everyday.

I climbed the highest mountain in Southeast Asia (between the Himalayas and Papa New Guinea) Mt. Kinabalu at 13800 feet. It was tough 2-day 1-night affair and I had attiude sickness. But I did made it to the top at around 5:50AM (started at 3AM). Again my bad surise luck, no sun rise. Of course my legs are sore, mainly from the downhill. The one night at the mountain, we stayed at a lodge full of roaches, and that serves cold breakfast. But after I saw a porter carring heavy propane tanks up the mountain, I realized cold breakfast is better than no breakfast.

I did stay at a hot spring place for a night after the climb, but the sulfur dip did not help the sore muscle a bit.
O, everything in park, hot spring are monopolized by a single company, and price are very expensive, and one have little choices (if any) but to pay it.

I traveled with 3 English ladies for the climb.

After the hot spring I head to Sandakan for the lengendary Uncle Tan's 3-day 2-nigh Wilderness jungle camp. I arrived at Sandakan around 4:10PM with 4 English ladies where I saw them at the climb and hot spring. The hotels are pretty full, but I managed to find one for 60 Ringgits. The city wasn't very interesting, but it is a base for near by excusions. I headed to uncle Tan's B&B the following day.

I ended up with a group of 9 other campers. 5 Dutches, 1 Canadian, 1 Italian, 1 Italian American, and one other American. We did night and day time jungle trekking, night, day, morning boat rides. We saw orangatans, 3 types of monkeys, hornbills, king fishers, other birds, Malaysia civet cat, 4 types of frogs, wolf spider, posisonous centerpede, millipedes, snail. I got many mosiquito, ant bites and other mystery bites as well (it was similar to chiggers bites). We have to fight off monkeys from raiding our camp, hide our food and smelly things from rats. Since it is rainy season, the water level is upto most of the trees, so our boats navigates between tree tops sometime!
One evening, it was raining, everyone decide to skip the evening boat ride to spot monkeys feeding except me, I end up buying two catfishs from a fishmen working on the river and our camp leader cooked a very good curry fish!

O, there was no shower or running water. We had generator power at night till about 12-1AM.

After I got back to Uncle Tan's office and showered up, I decided to goto visit the near by Sepilok Orangutan Rehab Center. There were a family from New Zealand who went to the center in the morning and is getting ready to goto the wilderness jungle camp so they gave me their camera ticket (good for a day).











1 Comments:

At Sat Dec 17, 09:27:00 PM 2005, Blogger Luv2travel said...

Don't envy of your mosiquito, ant bites at all... the rest sounds like an interesting experience though.... have always wanted to climb that mountain at KK, but have never made it there so far... glad that I have a friend (YOU) have done it.
Continue to have a blast on your trip! :)
-Anita

 

Post a Comment

<< Home